Friday 14 May 2010

Where in the world has David been today? Huntingdon (Woodhurst, actually)

Well, today was a significant day, as I speculated. Just from a physical point of view it was very demanding - it was the longest distance so far, there was almost as much climbing as the previous two days (though not in such big steep chunks), there was a headwind most of the day, and I had the panniers back on the bike. In the light of all that, averaging 13mph was pretty good (faster than the previous three days) thought it felt hard won and I think I shouldn't even be trying for that kind of average most of the time. Managed the energy levels a little better, but not perfectly, and looked after hydration pretty well. However, forgot chamois cream this morning, which hasn't helped, and accidentally left gel gloves in Nottingham too which made for quite a bit of discomfort at time. All lessons learned.

But back to the beginning. Had a delightful time with Simon, Gill, Zac, Jonah and Charys Faulks. This morning I had some special time doing Disney jigsaws with 4-year old Charys and more time to talk with Gill. It was special, and they sent me on may way smiling - even though I was nervous and concerned. Felt loved when I had a text from them this evening too.

Had a late start, which was a luxury, but really felt the lack of companionship and encouragement on the ride today. There was no one to ride with, no one to slipstream and share the headwind with, no one to suggest a tea break, no Nick urging me on close to the top of climbs or reassuring me about confusing turnings. In fact, it was a very different experience all round. Much more of the same ahead, but no doubt I will somehow become accustomed to it.

My route today was mostly on main roads, though I did take some minor roads at one point to have a steadier climb than the main road, and I did take a detour through the lanes around Rutland Water. It was busy, but never terrifying. I ran south-east out of Nottingham, through Melton Mowbray and Oakham, then a few miles later turned into the little lanes on the south shore of Rutland Water and enjoyed the villages themselves, the avenues of trees, and the views of the lake of course. I had stopped in Oakham for lunch (what a lovely place) at a lovely Christian-run bistro called Angels. And angels they were too, serving heavenly lasagne.

From there I got back onto main roads and crossed over the A1 to Peterbrough where I had a meander round the city centre, and a quick look at the cathedral - so very different from Durham, for example, or Southwell yesterday. The final run of 20 miles to Robert and Julie's house in Woodhurst (that's my brother and his wife) was through fen country around Ramsey and Warboys. I'd hoped for a romp along the straight level roads, but it was so exposed and windy that there was no chance of that - I was running below my average speed, in point of fact. Arriving was a blessing after a final dash into Woodhurst - so was a hot bath and Robert's delicious asparagus and pea risotto. The best thing of all?? Three mugs of Ceylon tea on the trot.

And of course it has been lovely to see Robert, Julie, Helen and Chris and hear more about Helen's trip to Peru next year (fund raising going well). What a pity not to be able to stay longer, but Bedford beckons.

4 comments:

  1. 81 miles! Top man. Had a lovely Ascension service at Long Newton last night and it was good to see Paul Clayton back to join Gill, who was leading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know, John! I celebrated Ascension in my own way by saying the office from the BCP - the slimmest prayer book I could pack!!! Interesting how meaningful I am finding it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see you've been in Rutland, David - where I went to school. Not, though, at Oakham where the great Thomas Merton went. Doff your cycle helmet to him as you leave! Robert Cooper

    ReplyDelete
  4. i thought you also celebrated ascension by ascending the hills!
    it was really good to see you and i would have so loved to have been able to cycle a few miles with you (especially after the lectures we had!)
    will be thinking of you over the next few weeks as you continue!

    ReplyDelete