Tuesday 18 May 2010

Where in the world is David today? Denham Village

Late again, beloved readers. You may have to get used to this. I have to sleep sometimes.

Yesterday was a good day. Let me repeat that, a good day. I didn't get to see Martin as he was out of the house so early, but had a lovely breakfast with Christina and Owen: Marmite and fish finger sandwiches! Once they'd headed off to school it was good to spend some time with Freda, Christina's mum - a fascinating chat. And then I was on my way up the hill and across the top to Leverstock Green to see Simon Cutmore, ex-colleague with whom I did my post-ordination training.

It was an absolute delight. We fell immediately into deep conversation, punctuated by cups of tea. The subjects ranged widely, but we talked a lot about our sabbatical projects. Simon and Alex and the boys spent six weeks in New Zealand during his, followed swiftly by 12 days in Sweden for Simon looking at the workings of the church there - disestablished in law, but very closely aligned with the workings of the country in another way. Simon jokingly called it the state's funeral department, and there's some truth in that. Every church busy and well staffed, but with many (including bishops) not really knowing what their role is all about. It is lovely when conversation flows so freely and that has been my experience again and again on this trip. What a treat. I hadn't known how long I would be there, but Alex prepared us a lovely lunch and it was early afternoon before I tore myself away. It was a good incentive not to lose touch again, and I really hope they will be able to call in on us on the way to Scotland in late August.

From Leverstock Green I pottered down into Hemel Hempstead to Leisure Wheels in the Old Town to by some energy gels (Science in Sport) and another pair of gloves (left the last pair at Simon and Gill Faulks' house (I think). Then it was back down through Hemel Hempstead town centre and onto the Grand Union Canal towpath. I thought better of that after a few miles - the surface was rough and my bottom was feeling it, but the towpath kept switch-backing from one side to the other across steep bridges and I got really fed up with that! Not to mention the canal boat residents on their deck chairs in the middle of the towpath with sleeping dogs.

The ride into Watford was then hairier than I had planned for, but the run out to Denham was beautiful and fast and I was soon with David and Eli Prais, being welcomed into reception at my 'hotel' by their lovely girls. A chocolate was even lying on my pillow ready for bedtime. Again, it was so comfortable falling back into conversation and being able to reflect on times past, times present and future possibilities. I also got to play on an iPad, and almost on a JooJoo, till a 'reliability issue' brought it to a permanent halt after 10 seconds. Dinner consisted of a gorgeous coconut and red lentil soup (Eli provided the link for the recipe), Boeuf Bourguignon done beautifully and a sticky chocolate pudding that was slightly stickier than planned! All 'washed down' with a 1996 Gevrey-Chambertin. Another treat. Don't get me wrong, the best thing was the company, but there is always lots of food talk with David and Eli, and I enjoyed browsing the picture book of their 40-course meal at El Bulli - look it up on t'internet if that means nothing to you.

This morning David and I have walked Ragnar, their gorgeous Bergamasco through the golf course and chilled and I'll be on the road again shortly after 11am. Today will be a nice run through to Ascot via Windsor and the Great Park, and the weather is gorgeous (may not be so tomorrow). Tonight is our reunion dinner for ex-Dell and ex-Epson folk in Wokingham, so that should be a treat.

4 comments:

  1. It was an absoloute delight to spend time together yesterday David. Yes, deep and fulfilling conversation that reminded me why we got on so well personally, ecclesiastically and theologically when we first met!

    I promise we wont leave it so long before we see one another again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to tonight. Hope everyone ignored the facebook event that said tommorow. oops

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just thought I'd say hello, and how amazing your blog is on your trip to Spain. Like you I really loved the time cycling with the CMS guys last week (even though I am to date the only mechanical problem they've had!!!)and I find myself thinking about where they are and how they're doing each day. I can only guess it must feel quite isolated being on your own, so am praying for you that you have a great trip and know God's blessing on your sabbatical journeying! Judy (Jenny's twin)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weather forecast suggests you might get warm today, David - so good luck! Only excitement from the Six Parishes is that the Vane Arms and the Hamilton Russell in Thorpe both got burgled on Saturday night. Enjoying reading about your travels and encounters. Robert

    ReplyDelete