Wednesday 19 May 2010

Where in the world was David yesterday? Ascot, Windsor and Wokingham

Word of the day? Expensive.

My time with the Prais family was rounded off by a leisurely breakfast (one of the girls had produced a menu, continuing the hotel theme), dog walking and more free-flowing conversation. We ate sausages in rebellion at the news item about sausages being bad for you. David and I walked Ragnar across the golf course - correction, David, Ragnar and I walked across the golf course and arrived home together - in the beautiful morning light. Before I left we took a look at the area they've set aside for home school, had a wander round the garden and admired the statuary - metal sheep, wooden pandas hiding in the bamboo, and so on. Kate - you would love the metal sheep, there for Ragnar to round up, but not entirely responsive (they can be moved, but only be lifting, not by chivvying).

When I got on the go, strange things started to happen. I'd been worrying about some 'clonks' I'd been hearing on the bike, and while I was riding down towards Langley I would occasionally find that the pedals would just spin without engaging the freehub after freewheeling. That doesn't get you very far very fast. Changing to a really high gear before trying again usually got things working again, but that wasn't always convenient. Worst of all, the place it was most likely to happen was while waiting at a junction. I thought something was just sticking and in need of lubrication, but feared it might be more serious. At any rate, I was able to keep moving by being careful and keeping the pressure on the pedals all the time if possible and I thought I would nurse it to a bike shop if I could find one.

Just by Datchet station I met Steve, on a battered mountain bike, who challenged me to a race. There was no chance of that, but when the gears re-engaged I quickly overhauled because of my policy to keep the bike moving. Half a minute later he was alongside, pedalling like mad and explaining that he only ever used one gear. He was also swaying all over the place, and I realised he had been drinking. He veered all over the place and swore at the cars, and talked non-stop, asking me about where I was from and where I was going, telling me about his favourite Spanish bands, and lots more besides. I was mainly concentrating on safety! When he finally grasped that I had a problem with the bike, he volunteered to show me where the bike shop was in Windsor, warning me that it would involve a steep hill and riding through a pedestrian area. I had to make a decision - I decided to accept his kindness. It was a hairy ride, but I was thankful.

Cyclelife's Tim sorted out a little squeak, but gave me the bad news that the freehub in the back wheel was done for - not an unusual problem in generic hubs. The hub would need replacing at a minimum, as it wasn't a serviceable hub, and he didn't have one - in particular, they aren't a Specialized dealer so he wouldn't be able to do it under warranty. He recommended either a new set of wheels or getting the bike to a Specialized outlet as soon as possible. I decided to nurse the bike to Dave Marshall's and do some research. In the end it didn't behave too badly for the last six miles or so, but doing nothing clearly wasn't an option. When I arrived at Dave's, I was greeted by both Dave and Miles Beacroft looking down from the balcony of the flat, laughing and taking a video. Miles has just returned from living in Spain, and it was a treat to see him. That took my mind off bike problems for a few minutes.

After a flurry of phone calls, I worked out that a warranty repair would lose me days and that the only choice was to go for a new set of wheels, so Dave and I piled the bike in his Land Rover and headed back to the Windsor Cyclelife store. Just 45 minutes, a cup of coffee, and £190 later, I had new (better) wheels (Mavic Aksium Race), with a hub that can be serviced if it has problems in future, and Dave will be sending the old wheels home for me to get the warranty repair sorted - they can be my 'winter wheels' for next season. And guess who we ran into outside the pub as we headed to the coffee shop? Steve, my saviour! Dave wondered where I had met him, and loved the story. It was nice to be able to thank him.

I'm not sure really where the rest of the afternoon flew to, apart from having a leisurely bath, but it was soon time to head out to the Royal India Tandoori in Wokingham for our reunion drinks and curry with ex-colleagues from our days at Epson and Dell. On the way we called in to meet Dave's family and it was good to see Alison, Scott and Laura - and the snakes. There was a fantastic turn out. Dave, Lisa Hutt and I were the crossover group - i.e. worked for both companies. From Epson there were also Steve Day, Nobu Takeuchi, Ian Phipps, Gillian Kent and Carol Knight (now Keller). From Dell we had Roger Stone, Guy Swarbrick, Dave Matthews, Chris Hall, Jon Cooper, Miles Beacroft and Paul Roff. Quite a crowd, and still the same dynamics - strong relationships, serious talent and riotous laughter. Add curry and stir. We had a great time, and left very late. It had all been organised at the last minute, but had worked better than some of the meticulously planned reunions of recent years. Here's to the next one! << Link to additional pictures from Ian Phipps here >>

Dave and I enjoyed a night cap and some more serious conversation before bed, but he was still up and out on the bike around Windsor Great Park before 6am. I talked to Kate for too long before going to sleep, so I gave that ride a miss and lay in till 6.45! A fruit smoothie, a bowl of porridge, and a cheese scone (made by Dave's daughter Laura) later and I'm charged up and ready to go. Today, I can report that I feel a lot happier and more confident. The challenge of France is getting closer, but my mood is improving all the time. Next stop, Clapham Common South and my old university friend, Rhona.

4 comments:

  1. Great to see you last night DB!

    Good luck for the rest of the journey. Looking forward to having too much beer with you when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about the bike trouble, glad you got it sorted -at least you did not have to get it fixed in French! I'm enjoying keeping up with your progress. Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have continued to read your daily blog. Everythiong seems to have gone as planned (with some pleasant additional meetings) - but I too was sorry to read about the bike problems. Still better here than on the other side of the channel. Keep up the good work!! David.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You actually might have more success with bike repairs in France due to the passionate Tour de France. All good practice David. If you have translation problems, call us on the phone and we'll do our best!

    ReplyDelete